Thursday, January 05, 2006

Freedom!

Yesterday was my last day at a long-term job that has occupied a lot of my time since the beginning of November. I was teaching a sixth grade class of 31 students in Oildale, a predominantly white, lower class area of Bakersfield. I have to say that I was being compensated pretty well, and the progress that I was making was gratifying. That said, I am looking forward to not working on grading or lesson plans tonight. Any time you work hard on something, it is difficult to leave it behind. I find that it is even more so when your work involves people's lives. I won't get into the specifics of what I was doing, but I think its fair to say that at least a few students were benefiting from what I was doing. Unfortunately, the teacher for whom I have been filling in for the last few months is still unable to return, and the state rules will no longer permit me to be in the classroom because of the type of credential I have.
Thus, the class will be turned over to another substitute teacher who I fear will not do a very good job. This teacher taught this very class for a week before I took it over, and about 5 total assignments were turned in during the whole time. Let's try to do the math on that one real quick: 31 students x about 4 assignments per day x 5 days. That means the whole class turned in 5 out of a possible 620 assignments (if I did my math right)! I feel like I just built a house (a very mediocre, perhaps even poor one, but a house none-the-less), and now someone is going to burn it down. But I did my best, and I guess that's all I can do. It is out of my hands now, and I need to learn not to put responsibilities on myself that don't belong to me.
Sorry if this post is a little to down for some of you. Just being "real" (whatever that means?!).
I also apologize if there is too much "teacher talk" in here. I tried to keep it to a minimum. "Teacher talk" is the phenomenon that I have noticed where two or more teachers find each other in a social setting and then force the rest of the people in the group to listen to them having a two-way conversation about the detailed specifics of their job for hours on end. Have you ever noticed this type of thing happening? Why does it seem that teachers do this almost exclusively. At least in my experience, accountants, construction workers, farmers, secretaries, medical professionals and retail workers don't seem to exhibit this behavior. Put two elementary school teachers in a room of fifty other people, though. In less than 10 minutes, they will have found each other and begin to talk so loudly about work that everyone else in the room has no choice but to stop their respective conversations and listen. I vow to never do this! If you see me doing it -- I mean, if I am crossing the line from simple, polite answer concerning how my work is going, to insanely self-centered teacher-person, I want you to come up and physically hurt me in some way that will teach me a good lesson but not make my wife a widow or hurt her chances of having children with me. Seriously! Hurt me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that Teacher Talk stems from two things 1)having total control of a room full of kids and 2) being forced to talk over a room full of kids. So when you put a teacher in a social setting, their natural instinct is to continue raising their voices so that they are heard over the crowd and getting the crowd to focus all attention on them. If I ever catch you doing this I will tell Christina to inflict pain on you. I am sure she has some pent up "Dana aggresion."

dana said...

I dissagree with your conclusion, based upon your underlying assupmtion that being a teacher changes someone so that they act like this. I would assert that people who have certain character traits (or some might say flaws) are demographically drawn to being teachers. I will post some examples in the following comments

dana said...

Prospective teacher #1 says, "I like to hear myself talk, so I will dominate all conversations I'm involved in and study to become a teacher so that I can talk all day and have the power to punish anyone else in the room who wants to talk!"

dana said...

Prospective teacher #2 says, "All I want to do is boss everyone around all day long. The problem is, I have socially conservative beliefs that say I must submit to men, so I can't be the boss in any area of society unless I am working with children. Thus, in my family and social life I will become that loud, bossy, overbearing woman who has to be the center of every conversation or jump into other conversations to tell people what to do. For a job, I will become a teacher and boss around little children who will be forced to recognise me as the ultimate authority figure and do everything I say. I would just be a housewife, but why boss around just your kids when you could be a teacher and boss around everybodies kids?

edluv said...

i don't know why, dana, but the first thought i had for hurting you was to punch you in the nuts. but, alas, that may hurt the chance for children.

Anonymous said...

That's funny Ed because I had the exact same thought. It was a good thing that Dana put that disclaimer in the post.

dana said...

Clearly, I know my friends.