Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bad Boys, Bad Boys

Ok, so I am reprinting an article from the Bakersfield Californian Newspaper website without permission because they have one of those stupid subscription services and you wouldn't be able to access it if I hyperlinked.

Deputies seize 29 pounds of marijuana after pursuit arrest
By The Bakersfield Californian | Tuesday, Apr 11 2006 2:06 PM

Last Updated: Tuesday, Apr 11 2006 2:06 PM

A 25-year-old Bakersfield man was arrested Tuesday morning in an almond orchard after a short pursuit when officers found more than $140,000 worth of marijuana and hash oil in his vehicle, Kern County sheriff’s deputies reported.

Investigators from the sheriff’s Major Violators Unit and deputies from the Rosedale Substation attempted to stop Stephen Stilwell in the area of Stockdale Highway and Superior Road which is east of Enos Lane, deputies said.

But he raced north on Superior Road to the orchard near Brimhall Road, deputies said. Deputies arrested Stilwell at about 7:30 a.m. after he ran away from his car in which he left 29 pounds of marijuana valued at $116,000, three pounds of what is believed to be liquid hash oil valued at $24,000, and one kilo of kief (marijuana being converted to hashish that in this process has no value), officers said.

Also in the car was a loaded 12-gauge shotgun, deputies said.

Stilwell was booked into the Kern County jail on charges of felon in possession of a firearm, manufacturing hashish, possession of marijuana for sale and evading, deputies said.


How does this pertain to me? Well... I was driving in from a field this morning when I noticed a strange person in a gray SUV pull into an almond orchard that happens to be down the street from where Julie's parents live. As I came around the corner, I saw some squad cars with their lights flashing patrolling the area. It was clear they were looking for someone.
I stopped when I got to a white SUV where a guy about my age and build was putting on body armor and getting out an automatic rifle. Explaining that I was a neighbor, I asked if they were looking for someone, and told them about the gray SUV that clearly doesn't normally belong there. The deputy with the big gun told me the SUV was one of their undercover agents and asked if I had seen anyone on foot. I hadn't. He said it would be in my best interest to stay out of the area for a while.
I proceeded down the street to check on my mother-in-law who I suspected might be home alone (like any good son-in-law would). Finding her not at gunpoint, I told her what happened and went back to my work. I figured that the house was well beyond the walking distance of even the fastest criminals (there are also at least a 1/2 dozen other houses between the orchard and their house). Plus, I have full confidence in my mother-in-law to defend herself. Seriously! Any criminal who sees her as a potential victim is an idiot and totally deserves the merciless beating he would surely recieve. I also made sure the doors were tightly locked when I left the house.
Nothing else really happened, but it brought a little excitemtent to my day.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Is it just inconsistency on the paper's part or do people in the "field of drugs" use pounds for marijuana and hash oil and kilos for kief? Just wondering.

edluv said...

you know, i think they use both. like, i've heard about people purchasing a pound of weed. but, also portions in ounces. but, other drugs, i've generally heard of purchasing in grams, kilos, etc.

i was thinking maybe they used the different measurements because of the liquid nature of the one, but that doesn't adequately explain it.