Saturday, June 17, 2006

US v. Italia

As I'm sure none of you know (except Ed), the US played a world cup match against Italy today. I just finished watching the game and wanted to share with you some of my reflections.


Here are 5 reasons you can like the US Soccer Team:

1. They generally don't beat their wives, take drugs, ride up to the game in their Escalades, hold out for a contract that pays 43 million instead of 42, or take steroids.

2. They don't play soccer for the money or fame. They love the game and so do I. That means I have something in common with US soccer players that I don't feel I have in common with other pro athletes. I honestly don't believe that pro football or baseball players love the game as much as I do. But these soccer guys play it because they love it, and when you hear them talk about it, you can hear the reverence they have for the sport in the voices.

3. They play with heart. If you don't follow international soccer, there is one thing you MUST know to accurately understand the World Cup as it pertains to the US team: the deck is stacked against them! Big Time! We all know that they aren't known as the best players in the world, but if they do poorly, its not because of lack of talent. The whole thing is totally riggged by every other country in the world to make it as difficult as possible for the US to win.
"Why would they do this?"
News flash: Pretty much everyone hates us. Europe and the Middle East hate us for our recent foreign policy. Latin America hate us for our economic policy. And the Far East hates everyone.
Plus, we are pretty much the best at every other major sport, and the world is determined not to let us have this last one. Trust me. This is not a consiracy theory, this is reality. All this to show why the world has totally rigged the whole World Cup against the US. From qualification, to seeding, to scheduling, to referees.
But these players never seem to give up. The worse it gets, the harder they play. I just watched the US play to a draw againts one of the best teams in the world while being blatantly screwed by the referees. These guys have heart.

4. Unlike most professional athletes, these guys are pretty intelligent and well-spoken. The US goalie speaks 3 languages. He recently answered questions in a press conference in fluent Spanish, then German, before returning to english.

5. Brian McBride. This veteran player is tough, smart and motivated. He recently led his Premier League Team, Fulham, in scoring and was voted by the other players as their MVP (I believe this is the first time an american has had that honor in league). He has had some brutal injuries that would have ended the career of most players. I believe he has had his cheek broken twice, and I'm sure some of you saw the injury that he suffered in the game today. Pain doesn't seem to faze this guy. It was like, close that huge gash on my face as fast as you can so I can get back in this game. I was a huge McBride fan before today, but now his greatness in my mind is almost mythical. Let me put it this way: If I had to go into battle with 3 guys: my brother, my high school football coach, and Brian McBride. There are certain people in the world who, when you look at their eyes, show the determination needed to get any job done. McBride has that look, and his play backs it up.

5 comments:

timidvenus said...

it was a nice game to watch, i am glad i saw it. also, mcbride was, indeed, amazing.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you would want to go into battle with me for good reasons or because of my knowledge and ownership of very large menacing firearms with bayonets. Either way I’ll take it.

edluv said...

i agree with your reasons for support of the us side.

and it's not a conspiracy. example: red card on mastroeni. what a bs call. totally deserves strong warning, possibly a yellow. but, for a guy that had barely touched anyone all game in an extremely rough game to get auto red for that, bs. now, the pope red was deserved. he was playing pretty sloppy, kept getting beat and fouling. fine, he yellow'd out.

and the dumbass announcers, the card on mas wasn't a make up call. make up implies that there was a previously bad call which you are making up for. the red on the italian side was completely justified.

i've had a great time watching this cup. lots of close games, late goals and a couple of nice upsets. now, if the u.s. can just advance, i'll feel pretty good. granted, it looks like we might be up against brasil if we advance, but you've got to slay the dragons at some point. why not now? (oh yeah, we're not that good.)

dana, it's too bad you're not up here. i had three over for the first us game, and four over for the second. such a blast to watch the game with casual fans who get into and are going nuts watching our side. it was great energy saturday at my pad, especially after the beasly goal. and then it was all sucked out when the called it off. still fun though.

Adam said...

Yeah, it was good times watching the game. I have a hard time watching soccer alone and a group with the right energy really enhances the game.

Dana, can I be number four if McBride, your coach or Derek opt out of battle for whatever reasons? I like a good rumble. Well, not really, but I'd give you a hand if you needed.

edluv said...

adam loves to listen to coldplay and give other guys "hands"