Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Evil Genius or Just Evil? You Decide!

Well, well, well... My last post generated quite a bit of wild speculation about why I want a huge fish tank. Clearly some of you see me as a mad scientist (not too far off). Ok, I'll tell you what it is for, with the caveat that anything I publish here is proprietary intellectual material. For those of you who are idiots, that means you can't steal my ideas.
As many of you know, I have become interested in bass fishing of late. I recently found out that small bass (about 6-8 inches) keep very well in a fish tank. I have even found websites of some scientists and college profs who have kept them. In case you still want to steal my ideas (even after that strongly-worded warning), I'm not linking to these sites. If you want to steal my idea, you will have to do your own work.
So here is my idea: I am interested in making a Skinner box . But instead of using a rat or other land animal, I will be using a largemouth bass. This will allow me to do operant conditioning experiments and gather data to better understand the cognition of bass and other fish. Specifically, I am interested in learning how quickly bass fish learn and modify behaviors.

Now its time for the test portion of my post (don't worry! there's only one question)
The end result of my experiments will be:

a)I will never get laid again (luckily I hid my extremely nerdy qualities until after marriage. Or did I?)

b)I will become the greatest bass fisherman the world has ever known (I may already be that, though.)

c)I will get tired and watch Star Trek (I don't like the show, but all this is making me think I might like it soon)

d)All of the above

Please feel free comment and tell my what a loser I am or join my losery ranks and give me ideas for my experiments.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Igor, would you mind telling me whose brain I did put in?
Igor: And you won't be angry?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA? IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME?

4 comments:

Adam said...

Will these bass have "friggin' lasers attached to their heads" and be "disgruntled"?

Adam said...

No, really. Sounds interesting to me. I'm already shunned for being a nerd, count me in.

Jimmie said...

Yes I know I have relatives living in a double-wide in Oildale. I can trace the history of the other side of my family back to Oklahoma. So maybe I can't change my family history but you have chosen to live there. Maybe the NASCAR joke wasn't that original but I can't help the fact that you are stereotyping yourself. And if you keep stereotyping yourself I will keep bringing it up to you but refrain from making the "easy" joke.

Anonymous said...

Once you get this thing up and running I should bring that remote control boat you gave me down there so we can study the reaction of bass to boats overhead. If that doesn't work we can just crank up the motor and see how many bass we can jack up. Either way you have to admit it would be a good experiment.