Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hockey

Last night we went to a hockey game. Julie was very excited to see a fight. In every other area of life she absolutely hates fighting. On the occasion where I watch boxing, UFC, etc. she can't even watch. It freaks her out. But for some reason, she has no problem with fighting in hockey, and she can't explain why she feels this way. This is very frustrating to me because I like to understand things.
I find fighting interesting for 2 reasons.
1) Why people fight.
The average person's answer is ANGER, but that shows a total lack of observational skill. If you really look at all the forms of fighting in our society, you will find a meriad of reasons and motivations. Economics, status, self-defense, territorialism.
2)Strategy of fighting.
I've noticed that I seem to take an academic approach to life in a way that many other people don't. I'm always studying things and trying to understand different approaches and strategies. When it comes to this, fighting is one of the most fascinating subjects to me. Maybe you've never thought of this before, but there are as many, if not more, intricate details to the strategy of a fight as there are in any major sport. There is a lot to think about.

3 comments:

edluv said...

i'm with you on #2. ugh, that sounds disgusting. but i love boxing. have you seen the new wbc champ, the 7 foot russian? i've heard his skills are sad, and could be a lot better. he's involved in a war of words with his former trainer. he beat john ruiz on a sketchy decision. the pictures i've seen of him are almost frightening, and i'd love to catch some video.

i think i'm off to youtube to see if i can find some.

Unknown said...

Vegas, fools. It's on. Comment on my post about dates, times, etc. Or call/text/pigeon me.

Vegas.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.